[QuadList] An O/T but interesting topic--nitrate film of all built on top of high-power AM antenna radials--Safe?

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Mar 1 15:15:48 CST 2016

When I was at college, I earned extra cash by babysitting the KDNT AM transmitter site from pre-sunrise sign-on till after sunrise when I changed antenna patterns and transmitter power. I had my First Phone and could use the cash, so I was game.

There was so much RF in the transmitter shack that I could not sit in the folding metal chair less my lower extremities would start burning.

In regard to nitrate, I don't think there would be enough energy in the RF field to cause an issue unless the material was right up next to the antenna. RF experts can chime in on the ratio of RF energy verses distance from the radiation source (it drops off quite rapidly).

Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Preservation Level Videotape Transfers and More!

david at dcvideo.com
http://dcvideo.com/
Follow DC Video on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dcvideo
Follow DC Video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/dcvideoonline