[OldVTRS] VR-1200 update

Chris Hill chill315 at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 16:55:33 CST 2018

Shai

Don't swap the board at this time.  The compatibility may be an issue.

The following needs verification by an AMPEX person.

Here are some hints about board compatibility.
Boards have an assembly number on them.  It then ends in a -xx number with possibly a letter following these two digits.

I was told that if the board has the same assembly number before the dash it is okay to swap.  The dash xx is the version of the artwork.  The letter following will be a revision to parts on the same artwork.

If the assembly number is different, then the board is not plug compatible.  There is a wiring change to the plug or harness.

THIS MEANS SMOKE MAY COME OUT OF THE MACHINE!

Everyone is saying the same thing.  Get the machine working in basic modes before these wild crazy ideas of swapping assemblies or boards.  You will only dig the grave for the machine by doing the swaps.  There are way too many subtle difference between machines that you will not know unless you have very good documentation and all service notes from AMPEX including FEBs and parts changes.  I do not know them.  I have a short list and that is it.  The documentation that I have is for the near the end of the B versions.  I do have a short list of FEBs in a training manual but that does not cover everything.  There were special kits that were available to fix problems in editing.  I had to put these in.  But they were not listed on the FEBs so it is be careful.

Chris