[QuadList] Introduction: Phillip G. Shaw

Phil pshaw at sitestar.net
Thu Aug 7 10:15:58 CDT 2008

I was a Field Engineer for RCA Broadcast systems 1979- 1983 supporting all
the Quad's (Blg 2-8 Tech Alert).

The only RCA Machine that I have never worked on was the TRT 1C (color). I
did work on the TRT-1B (Mono). I was supporting the TR800 in 1983.. This 1"
machine had > 2000 ECO (Engineering Change Orders) that proved more than a
challenge in the Field, that's why I transferred to NBC Broadcast Systems
Engineering Group.

I finished my career at NBC-NYC as an Engineering Project Manager (Network).
Retired now living in Canada for summer, Arizona in winter

I rebuilt the TCR-100's all over the World (my bread & butter). The TCR-100
was the only Quad that was modified for discrete Stereo (I was the NBC
Project engineer that installed stereo @ NBC Network in 1989)

Just My opinion:

Best Reel-to-Reel Quad.. TR-70C  (Servo in a drawer)

Best 1" reel to reel.. Ampex VPR3 (tape handling)

Best Project left on drawing board "RCA Silver Lake"

RCA old-timers missed : Bill Triplet, Luther, Thomas (Mod/Demod),  and all
the Friday Engineering lunch Group from Blg 17 & 2.

Phillip G. Shaw

Pshaw at sitestar.net