[QuadList] Gene Kelley Show color recording system--which was used?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun Dec 28 15:30:18 CST 2008

Hi, David...

> On Dec 27, 2008, at 2:10 PM, dcfwtx at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I transferred "The Gene Kelly Show" several years ago for a now
>> deceased client to Digtial Betacam. RCA non-standard 2" low band
>> color recording on our modified AVR-1 using proprietary modules.
>> One hour show. Burbank recording.
>>
>> David Crosthwait
>> DC Video
>> www.dcvideo.com

In 1988, KTLA Engineer Don Kent and Engineer/Historian Ed Reitan were
involved in the transfer of the 1958 Astaire special and other early
Quad color tapes.

Don did the playback off an AVR-1 that he got KTLA  to donate to
UCLA's film and television archive.

Ed modified ten boards that replaced stock ones on this AVR-1, the
last working Quad at KTLA.  It is now part of the CBS Television City
Quad array, where CBS maintains its health.

Ed e-mailed me when we first put Quadvideotapegroup.com live:

"As clarification, I use the terminology "RCA Labs Color" for the
format of the original Eisenhower, Astaire, and other NBC color tapes
used on the modified Ampex machines at Burbank from early 1958 through
at least April 1959.

I suggest the term "RCA Broadcast Color" for the format of the tapes
produced by the RCA TRT-1AC, the first color recorder produced by RCA
Broadcast of Camden, N.J., and also used by NBC at Burbank starting in
April, 1958.

These are distinguished from tapes made to the later “Low Band Color“
standard later promulgated by SMPTE."

David:  Do you remember which system and machine(s) were used on the
Kelly special?

Can you tell us more about the tape itself?  Was it a first generation
tape?  Any splices? etc.  Very hard to recover?

Thanks,

Ted

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com: