[QuadList] Followup Re: Quad engineer Ken Zin helps recover Moon orbiter tapes

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Nov 21 13:27:03 CST 2008

In an e-mail to me today, Dennis Wingo adds this about the image
recovery project:

> Our project, which began last year when we acquired the drives,
> started in earnest in July of this year when we received funding
> from NASA to do the refurbishment.  $250k later we are almost
> there.  We are getting heads refurbished and we are getting the
> reel and capstan motors bearings replaced (requiring a dunking in
> liquid nitrogen).  Also, we are going to continue upgrading the
> electronics on the RF side to improve performance.
>
> Our biggest challenge is documentation.  There are many boards that
> were aligned at the factory and then integrated into the machines
> or sent out as spares.  We need any factory documentation that
> someone might have (we have already gone through the Stanford
> archives).  We do have some aperture cards and we are rebuilding a
> reader that we bought off of ebay.  We also need any manuals for
> any FR-900 series machine.  FR-900, 900A-1, 901, 902, 950 machines.
>
> We are also interested in anyone with any actual experience with
> these machines.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dennis Wingo
> LOIRP Project Leader

Anyone able to help?

You can reply directly to the list, and I'll make sure Dennis gets
forwards.

I've CC'd him and Richard Hess who has an FR-900 in case Richard can
be of help.

flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.