[QuadList] Followup Re: Quad engineer Ken Zin helps recover Moon orbiter tapes

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Nov 21 14:31:35 CST 2008

Seems my eyes scanned a post Richard Hess made to the http://
www.moonviews.com
website a little too quickly, and came away with the idea that
Richard had an FR-900.

Such isn't the case, but he does have other instrumentation recorders.

On Nov 21, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Richard L. Hess wrote:
> Hi, Ted,
>
> While I think this is the most exciting deep restoration project to
> come around in years, I do NOT have an FR-900. I have several
> Honewell 101 and Racal Store DS machines which are longitudinal,
> not transverse machines.
>
> One of my Honeywell 101s should be capable of playing the Apollo 11
> IRIG instrumentation tapes that contain the slow scan video, but
> decoding that video becomes a second challenge. That is, if these
> tapes are ever found.
>
> These feeds were also recorded on VR-660s specially modified, and I
> believe Jim Wheeler is working on that recovery.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

So if folks on the list do have experience with or documentation for
the FR-900 series... it would be very helpful to the LOIRP project.

209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Main: 	(530) 741-1212
Cell: 	(530) 301-2931

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

flashscan8.us gentle, realtime flashscan8, flashstransfer 16/35
digital film transfer systems
and other products from the creative engineers at MWA Nova, Berlin.