[QuadList] newbie intro

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Sun Apr 19 21:35:58 CDT 2009

Glad to have stumbled onto this list. Brought here by a story on QRZ.com
about salvaging old NASA 2 inch lunar orbiter tapes.

Hope I can contribute to the group. FCC first phone age 17, immediately
started part time at local UHF in the early 70's doing everything from
Plumbicon to klystron. Came the mighty 8080, did software 25 years, now a
commercial radio chief.

Enjoyed fixing quads. You could tell a lot by watching demod out and
listening to the headwheel spin up. Maintaining a TR-5 in a Ford Econoline
van (4 season remotes) was a bit difficult. Worked on TR-22, TR-50, TR-600,
and my favorite, VR-1200B. Left TV about the time one inch took off.

Saw a question in the digest about 6.5 mil quad heads. When Warner bought
the local (12 channel!) cable TV system in my town (late 70's), they played
recent movies on one of the channels to premium subscribers. Believe they
used TR-600's with "half track" high-band heads, because the tape ran at
just 7.5 IPS (no reel change required if you used a "90 minute" roll of
tape).

Dale