[QuadList] VR-1000's at NBC

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Dec 23 17:56:24 CST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:

> Douglas Edwards was on CBS not NBC.  Wrong network.  Besides it did
> not have the RCA label on it so NBC could not buy it.
>
> Chris Hill
> WA8IGN

NBC bought three VR-1000's at or after the demos at the 1956 NAB.

Two were put to use at NBC Burbank, and the third ended up at RCA Labs
in NJ, where it was taken apart, and RCA's people developed circuitry
to record and recover color... the low-band, non-standard "RCA Labs
Color" referred to in threads here and on the website:

http://quadvideotapegroup.com/TRT-1C-at-NBC.htm
and
http://www.quadvideotapegroup.com/EiesnhowerQuadRestoration.htm

David Crosthwait has photos on DC Video.com of the NBC Burbank tape
room in the late 50's showing a plethora (Eight, if I recall
correctly) VR-1000's that did the bulk of the time-zone delay, and
were THE machines in place before RCA got its TRT-1's into production.

You'll have to wait while the photos on David's site cycle through...
but it's worth the wait.