[QuadList] Time Base Correctors

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 21:57:21 CST 2009

 Hello Doug,

Over the years, I've either recorded/played back or edited on a number of different RCA and Ampex decks. In my opinion, no time base correction was ever as reliable (in the long run) as the original units that came with the machines. This included NEC's on Ampex's and CVS/Harris units on RCA's.
The last one I encountered was a Harris on a TR 70 at NBC Burbank. Yes, some of these modifications do have good performance. The only outboard time base correctors that have any chance of trying to work are those that will accept a head switch pulse from the quad VTR. And those are rare. I don't believe that any of these after market TBC's have been manufactured in 20-25 years, hence parts support for one may be difficult.

What model of machine are you thinking about adapting to an outboard TBC?

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
www.dcvideo.com