[QuadList] We welcome and thank...

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Jan 26 16:30:05 CST 2009

recent additions to the QuadList:

Michael Barnhart;

Tony Korte with Video Magnetics in Colorado Springs, which rebuilds
Quad heads, among others;

And Detroit area SMPTE Member Chris Hill, who's just introduced
himself and jumped into a discussion about the RA editor.  Way to go,
Chris!

Taking a hiatus from the list is Guy Spiller (WVGOfm at aol.com)... who
explains:

I'm just trying to catch up, and I'm overwhelmed with emails right now!
I've been out on the road freelancing a lot lately during basketball
season, so I'll  get back on the list when I'm at home a little more
regularly.

I'm knee deep in shading sports now.  I didn't really start
freelancing until a couple of years ago, just for "fun".

Now it's Nascar, ESPN, Comcast and some networks I've never even heard
of!   It's gone crazy now.  It's a lot of fun, as shading multicamera
shows is right up there with quad videotape as two of my passions and
favorite things in the world to do.

I meet a lot of older network guys on these crews, and I get a lot of
perspective and some great talks about the "good old days" when they
find out what I do with quad and all that!  Feel free to post about my
temporary sabbatical to the group if you like....and I'll catch up soon.

I advised Guy he could check the archives to stay up on what's
happening on the list. E-mail him offline at WVGOfm at aol.com.  He may
be in your neighborhood and could say hello.

Thanks to Gary Adams for sending some PDF's of 1980's era Broadcast
Engineering magazine articles.  I'm going to try to get BE and others
to clear posting them on the website, and will do so as that happens.

Articles include:
"The First VTR" by Charles Ginsburg with a picture of the 1956 NAB
demo machine taken in CBS TVC, Hollywood, a week after it was retired,
the 25th Anniversary of VTR, "The Birth of the VTR" by Pete Hammar,
former curator of the Ampex Museum on the 30th anniversary of the VTR,
and "The Care and Handling of Videotape" by Art Schneider, A.C.E, who
is still writing about his experiences as a very early television film
and videotape editor.

If you have magazines or scanned articles that you thing would be of
value to today's Quad operator or interest to the group, please let me
know.

We'll try to clear their appearance on the website.

If you have copies of RCA Broadcast Magazine articles or magazines
that feature Quad and related items, we'd like to see those, too, and
manuals or schematics that might be of use in restoring machines to
operation.

I'm looking into how to acquire or fund acquiring a scanner or
scanners that will handle fold-out schematics to automate the process
of making PDF's of things available in a timely way.

With warm regards from sunny (today) northern California...

Secretary for the QuadVideotapeGroup.com:
Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in
conjunction with the Library of Congress
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com