[QuadList] FR-600s - Was Re: NPR story: Houston, We Erased The Apollo 11 Tapes

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:14:16 CDT 2009

Dave:

We have something else in common!  I still have an FR-600.  In fact, I spent a good bit of time rebuilding it a couple of years ago.  I've attached a couple of pics to show one difference from the ones that you had.  Instead of the manual mechanical speed change that you described, this one has the speed change function controlled by buttons on the control panel as you can see in its pic.  The shot of the rear of the transport shows the capstan drive motor and two sets of pullys.  The speed change was accomplished by a combination of changing the motor speed via the servo system and selecting one of the two pully systems by engaging the proper solenoid to tension one set of belts or the other, all with push-button convenience!  The speed info was also passed along to the signal system bays for their use.

Don