[QuadList] SCETV 1-inch Consoles (Was Videotape of CBS Kennedy assassination)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jul 21 14:34:45 CDT 2009

In a Creative Cow post: Re: broadcast tape standards, Del Holford of
Charlotte Public Television wrote on Apr 2, 2008:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/21/857255

"Just to stir the pot a little, South Carolina ETV still has at least
one and possibly two of every format forbroadcast. I'm not sure the
VO-2850 would be considered broadcast but we have a working BVU-800 in
our racks (VT13). SCETV still has working quad machines! They
occasionally make dubs for us (just across the line in NC) and I've
put other PBS members on to them. The reason they have the machines is
because the state legislature requires they be able to play everything
in their archive library, and that goes back a ways. It's been rumored
they've had to machine some of their own replacement parts."

Further down in the thread, Del responds to a somewhat tongue in cheek
reply from Bob Zelin about PBS's current standards, which dropped 1",
and a raft of other formats from the list of what PBS accepts:

"I just make sure my signals for SD are what I learned when I was
operating the TR-70C: that cameras match, that black levels aren't
crushed and white levels are hard clipped at 105. The color correctors
built into smoke and fire are awesome and we actually use the waveform
monitors in the edit suites. "

The last post in the thread is from a Quad collector in Green Bay, WI.

We're letting them know about the group, and trying to find out more
about SCETV's Quads from Hap Griffin, the VP of Engineering. He's been
there 1978 and should know something... :)

Ted