[QuadList] Videotape of CBS Kennedy assassination

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 22 17:04:59 CDT 2009

I'm resending this since no one has responded; maybe it was overlooked!  If anyone has the answers, I'd sure like to know!

David Crosthwait responded:

> It is my understanding that the source of the "news flash" was the zone
> delay recording made at CBS Hollywood, intended for the West coast
> playback.
>
> As far as whether a kine or tape was used for a certain clip i.e.
> Cronkite,
> both of those elements have been around as clips as far back as I can
> remember. It just depends on where the user got the source material
> i.e. from
> another show or an on-the-shelf library item. I've always preferred the
> tape
> sources.

I suspected that the source was probably the time zone delay recording, as
the break-in to the soap is on the tape (is it As the World Turns?).

I'm wondering why a kinnie was made at all, and under what circumstances.
Was it being made simultaneously with the VT for a backup to the time zone
delay, or was it made FROM the VT at a later date for some purpose?

I believe the tape of NBC's Kennedy coverage begins around 20 minutes into
the coverage because it took a while to get their machines up and running.
Does anyone know if this is true, and is there perhaps a kinescope source
for those missing 20 minutes?

Sammy Jones
Associate Producer
Georgia Public Broadcasting