[QuadList] More Quad Video

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 5 10:03:51 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Degan" <DennyD1 at verizon.net>

> I say:
>
> Amazingly good picture, Don.  It looks clean enough to have been shot
> today.  I could not see any velocity error, the usual telltale sign of
> quad video.  Many of the quad VTR's I worked with were not equipped with
> VelComp so I learned pretty quickly how to spot velocity error.
> And the tape was so clean, I saw no dropouts either.  Your DOComp must be
> in good shape too.  Nice work.
>
> Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
>   NBC Today Show, New York

Thanks Dennis!  I played this on what I call my VR-1200ABC, because it's a
machine I've built up over the past years with components from all 3
versions of the 1200.  The main "body" is a 1200, but the signal system is
from a 'B' and the servo is from a 'C', and there are some other mods as
well.  As you noted, it does have Velcomp, and the DOC is a Merlin ME-188A
instead of the Ampex DOC.  The restoration of this machine was aimed more at
being good than being 100% authentic, but it is an all Ampex machine except
for the DOC.

Don