[QuadList] This has to be a record

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 29 18:29:18 CDT 2009

		David asked Gary:

 > Was switching central in NYC at that time similar to Burbank, where
the whole system was hand built, with relay switching in many, many
racks, TP-90, TP-5 (Time Preset), etc.? This drove all of the record
VTR's out West for zone delay recording and such (with someone watching
over it). Gray panels with rear lit huge numbers?

		On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Gary Adams wrote:

 > At that time, the channels in New York were for multiple feeds not
counting the time zone delays.  Feeds such as local channel and
multiple sports on the weekends.  In fact the time zone delays at that
particular time were driven by a system built by the company I was
working for.  A computer system recording one feed and delaying for
multiple hours.  It was mostly automatic.  Controlling Panasonic
cassette machines.  You are probably describing what happened just
prior to the time frame I am speaking.

		I add:

	At the time of my photos of NBC Switching Central (1976-78, which was
prior to Gary's time frame), there were 8 output channels (not usually
enough outputs during weekend sports programming).  Normally, one of
those was reserved for local WNBC-TV, leaving only 7 channels for the
Network:
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515373883/>
		<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515346686/>
	Time zone delayed feeds were not part of NBC New York at that time
(later, during Gary's time, they WERE part of NBC NY).  The Network was
distributed by Telco coaxial cable and microwave link until around 1982
when satellite distribution was put into service.  Before the existence
of satellite distribution, it was necessary for time zone delayed feeds
to be performed where they were needed, which meant that the West Coast
origination center in Burbank would perform the delayed feed function
for all West Coast stations.  Central and Mountain TZ received the same
feed as the East, fed by branches from a "round robin"; a loop of the
Network feed that circled around the Eastern and Central TZ returning
to New York at the end of the loop.
	Most stations in the Central TZ aired network programs as they were
fed at the same time as in the East, which meant that they aired one
local hour earlier than in the East.  Some Central TZ stations
performed their own delayed programming feeds; most Mountain TZ
stations performed their own delayed feeds.  I've heard that a few
Mountain TZ stations took the West feed, which meant that they aired
programs one local hour LATER than the West feed.
	As far as the construction of NBC NY Switching Central is concerned,
NBC had a substantial construction shop in those days which made a lot
of custom panels and equipment.  I do not know anything about the
construction of Burbank's Switching Central compared to New York (I'm
hoping Gary can fill in those blanks for me), but it must have been
very different since New York had no delayed feed capability until
around 1982.  The West Coast delayed feed facility must have been an
important part of Burbank Switching Central up to that time.

			Dennis Degan, Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
	  				NBC Today Show, New York