[QuadList] Park's 7700 hours (was Restoring an RCA TR-600)

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Wed May 27 18:37:18 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Langdell" <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com>
To: "Quad List" <quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [QuadList] Park's 7700 hours (was Restoring an RCA TR-600)

> On May 26, 2009, at 10:23 AM, C. Park Seward wrote:
>
>> I've got 7700 hours on my oldest machine. It's almost broken in!
>>

> You're right, Park.  It's only 320.833334052 continuous days.
>
> Are the hours you report the  "Power On" time for the machine... time
> with tape in motion or something else?

Hi Ted:

Assuming Park's number is from a standard Ampex timer, then it is head
hours, and more precisely, guide engagement hours.  Obviously the head is
running in wind and standby modes, but by having the timer activated with
the guide, only actual head-wear hours are accumulated.  AFAIK, that is the
way all quads are set up.

Don