[QuadList] got my VR 1200s

Guy Spiller guy at guyspiller.com
Fri Nov 27 09:46:16 CST 2009

Great....more projects to follow here!
Park, did you check the ESR on all the caps before you first applied
power...or after?
In the anecdotal evidence department, I did find that I got a lot less
smoke on the TR-70 I brought up slowly on the Variac than the one I
didn't.  Probably replaced 25% or less the number of caps in that one.
I first learned that trick from John Turner, I believe it was, on
powering up an AVR-2 after a long nap.  He said it will blow an
incredible number of caps with full line voltage at first.  I followed
his recommendation on my first machine, and over a period of about three
days, I had it up to full voltage and the signal system was passing nice
video input to output with no smoke.
After I had done that, I noticed that I had no meter, lamp or button
action on the transport.  Turns out one of the big transport
interconnect cable connectors appeared to be seated fully, but was not.
I seated it, turned it on, and smoke poured forth from the MDA
assembly.  Something told me that I should bring it up again slowly on
the Variac, but I was feeling bold that day.  Lesson learned.  I haven't
yet peeked inside that unit, but I feel sure there are some shorted caps
that caused that.
The second AVR-2, I brought up the same way, although this time, with
power going to the transport assembly properly.  This one came up just
fine with zero blown caps or smoke, and actually pulls tape, locks up
and outputs video...although it appears to have some TBC issues.  I hope
to be getting to that and the other AVR-2 over the winter.
Guy

--
Guy Spiller
email: quadruplex at verizon.net