[QuadList] Letting the smoke out stories (was: Re: Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success)

Steve Greene steve.greene at nara.gov
Thu Sep 10 15:08:10 CDT 2009

My favorite electrician story is when they were wiring a new equipment
room for us and left the circuit we plugged our Recortec tape cleaner
into at 240VAC.  When I plugged it in and powered it up it gave up a
loud POP and let ALL the smoke out.  (and we all know electronics don't
work too good when you let the smoke out).  Scared the crap out of me
and the electrician's insurance company had a $12K claim.

Re the TR-600, be careful with the headwheel power amps (three
identical boards).  Each one used two big Motorola power transistors
that are almost impossible to find.  They would commonly blow on a power
surge.  I think RCA had a late technical bulletin on how to retrofit
those boards for commonly available transistors, but I never found that
particular bulletin again.

Steve

Steve Greene
Audiovisual Archivist
Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
(301) 837-1772

>>> ted at quadvideotapegroup.com 9/10/2009 3:36:38 PM >>>

Congratulations, John,

Maybe you should bring one of the working machines to AMIA in St.
Louis, in Nov?
You have portable air.