[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Mon Sep 14 12:22:33 CDT 2009

John,

Yes, this machine has the AE-600 installed.  It is the master machine
from the trio that used to be together.  I have one of the feeder
machines in storage for parts.  I tried to take the editor out, but it
is so integrated with the machine that if I disconnect anything from the
cage many other things on the machine won't work so I left it in place.
At least I can tell immediately if a tape has time code or not!

As to my preference, I like the AVR-2 better than the TR-600.  I've been
using both since the 70's and the TBC on the TR-600 has always been
touchy.  The vel-comp is very hard to set up to not get some one-line
shift or venetian blind effect unless the recording is a really good
one.  I keep the machine mainly for doing low-band playbacks and
monochrome as it doesn't care about no burst on the tape, but the AVR-2
dumps to black if there is no burst on the recording.  We used to record
a lot of mono stuff with burst so there would be no problem on playback,
but stuff older than about 75 usually doesn't have it.

If you can get that AVR-1 going you will be amazed at what it can do.  I
babysat a bunch of them at PBS in Washington, DC during the 70's.

Bill Spencer
RF Engineering Supervisor
NorthStar Studios, Inc.
3201 Dickerson Pike
Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610
Cell 615.445.5616
Fax 615.650.6027
email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.