[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:21:30 CDT 2009

Hi Bill:

First, a caveat to say that the info below applies to the machines I've
dealt with and have documentation for, but there were a number of changes to
the AVR-2 through its production cycle, so perhaps not all of the machines
work this way.

I'd think most mono recordings would be low-band, so a standard AVR-2 won't
play them anyway, but if you have hi-band mono recordings, the AVR-2 should
play them just fine.  There's circuitry in the machine that generates a
"mono burst" specifically so the TBC can work on mono recordings.  The
synthesized burst is automatically used when the off-tape signal does not
contain burst.

The AVR-2 is normally configured to go to black on a loss of playback RF,
but that can be defeated with a jumper selection.  In any case, your video
out should be fine when playing mono tapes.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com