[QuadList] OB Film Vs. Studio Video

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 15:01:17 CDT 2010

Bill

I have seen the decline of the unions in TV because of the inability to go
with the flow.  There are so many stations that are now basically now only
union in name only.  The advent of computer technology was the final nail
in the coffin.  I watched as the unions did not recognize the need to
adapt.  The UAW did it in the auto industry.  I remember discussing  with people
at a station that I was working at about new machines to replace the
ACR-25.  The capacity would allow complete automation of the work  flow.  The
reaction by one person was we will strike before  they can do that.

Stations can no longer have a full time person at very high wages  stand
behind a camera for a couple of hours news a day.  Robotics took that  and
paid for themselves.  Now the server and automation are eliminating  tape.  PCs
are doing the editing.  And the newsroom systems now do the  CG work.  It
has to happen with the fragmentation of the viewing  market.

There will always be the need for the high level engineer at a  station..
But the old days of having the pocket protector and the green  screwdriver
for every operator died long ago.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN