[QuadList] 2000's

georgenann at aol.com georgenann at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 14:29:36 CST 2010

Speaking of the 2000's, wonder if anyone came across this:  After threading it up, it wouldn't go into play or FF or REW, it would just relax and the reels would just slacken up and it would just look at you and just do "Nuttin"? Powering down, re threading, kicking the damn thing and cussing didn't help.

Had this problem a number of times then I read somewhere about "Off Sized Reels".  The hub of the reels aren't the correct diameter.  This is on those cheap plastic reels that commercials arrive on.

Apparently this would confuse the reel servo dept. so it would think it is at the end of the reel or want to slow down.

After putting the reel on an 1100A and rewinding it to a good aluminum reel the problem went away.

This has been an on going problem, it crops up frequently and I would guess that due to the sheer number of ops and shifts nobody caught on and maint. was called every time.

I don't look at it as a big screwup by Sony, rather very well written software for the reel servos, TOO well written as it can distinguish the small difference in hub sizes. Guess they stole it from Toyota's ABS braking system.

DE,

George Keller