[QuadList] Valentine's day

Trevor Brown videovault at sky.com
Sun Jan 31 12:53:14 CST 2010

Gentlemen

since you mentioned the VR7800 and the smaller non edit machined the VR5103
which recoded the same format only with a different speed control tack for
some reason, I was just thinking how I got from trouble shooting these small
table top machines to trouble shooting TR 70's

I worked for a small educational TV company and the TV broadcast company
with the TR 70's was a mile down the road, and paid better so I applied and
got a job ( I used my title, VT engineer, they probably thought we had
similar kit)

Day one the Supervisor  of Electronic Maintenance (my new department) took
me of to help him fix the Presentation Mixer (we were on air at the time) he
pulled open a 19 rack unit full of relays

and said "the top row is transmission cross points, the row below is the
preview cross points and the bottom row is emergency switching cross points"
and then he removed a relay on the bottom row. A shout when up from the
presentation guys, "we have lost transmission what have you done", he calmly
replaced the relay and transmission was restored, where he said "let me just
recap that".  The top row is emergency, the middle row is preview and the
bottom row is transmission.

I managed not to smile, let me walk you back via VT as you have aspirations
in that direction, as we walked down the corridor that had the 6 TR70's they
were in trouble, one of the machines was giving trouble on air and the ops
guy decided to move the tape to another machine during the commercial break,
this meant running from one booth to another carrying the two spools as
there was insufficient time to spool the tape, unfortunately he caught the
loop on the door handle and dropped the spools, which rolled down the
corridor spilling tape, all you could hear was the presentation guy shouting
"Peter where ever you are just roll the tape", the tape was rolling but not
in the way he wanted.

My new supervisor said even operations sometimes has its moments, I think I
lost it at that point I could not hold back side splitting laughter,

Valentine's day 1972 was etched on my mind, day one in the big time or so I
thought

6 months later I was working in VT alongside Peter, and stayed 28 years, I
think I found the right job, for me anyway

TrevorB

UK Member

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover.
Mark Twain