[QuadList] Toluene

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 16:57:40 CST 2010

In a message dated 1/15/2010 2:17:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cwreti at gmail.com writes:

> We smart-a** kid engineers at Wayne State Univ. TV in Detroit made that
> same fun discovery, plus, taking the gooey gelled cup outside and lighting
> it made a small, intense fire, with thick black smoke, probably something
> like napalm. I hope that the daily handling of xylene way back then did not
> initiate some dormant process that lies in wait to get me!
>

> Chuck Reti
>  WV8A
>  Detroit MI
>
> On Jan 15, 2010, at Jan 15 3:05 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:
>
> >> Also, don't make the mistake I made once. I poured a little in a
>> plastic cup. It didn't take long for it to melt the bottom of the cup! Handy if
>> you want a tube and not a cup
>

> =

In regard to the use of Zylene and Ampex (or similar) types of head
cleaner, I have heard a disturbing amount of stories here (in LA) recently about
degenerative illnesses and even premature deaths that somehow seem strangely
coincidental when one considers that those individuals were tape room
employees of the 50's through 80's, using head cleaner several times a day. I don't
believe that there is any scientific study in these exact geographical
locations, but someone might someday take a close look at the employee records
and their later years in life to draw any sort of conclusions. I remember
back in the 70's of specific warnings from co-workers about the red cans of
Ampex head cleaner.

I think the same sort of statistical study could be applied (if not
already) to Mt. Wilson engineers who were bombarded daily with RF from that highly
congested area. The stories I've heard are not pretty.

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
WWW.DCVIDEO.COM