[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 19, Issue 53

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 28 17:23:45 CST 2010

		On Jan 28, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Doug Bingley wrote:

 > As I mentioned in an earlier post, our older machines did not have
Editec although they used electronic editing. The electronic editor had
the nomenclature PP which we human editors said stood for "Push and
Pray." The machine did not go into full edit until about 3/4 of a
second after hitting record and play, so you had to anticipate the edit
point.

		I state:

	The very first electronic edit I ever performed was "Punch & Pray" in
1974 on a TR-70b in Columbus, GA (I still have a copy of the tape).
The delay of manual editing was maddening.  It's amazing how far we've
come from those days.  The delay was of course a necessary circumstance
caused by the distance between the erase head and the video heads, a
distance of 15 video frames on Ampex VTRs and 18 frames on RCA machines
(in NTSC).

	  					NBC Today Show, New York