[QuadList] Changes in Post over the years (wasElectronic Editing Notes)

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:02:58 CST 2010

Trevor:

The VPR-7900 which followed the 7800 by just a few years added a flying erase head, moved the dropout into the vertical interval, had an H-locked drum servo, and added Very High Band carrier mode which was identical to quad and then later to type-C format.  All of that allowed very high quality video and edits.  So while the 7800 had its limitations, it was a stepping stone in the development of helical during an era when many thought it could not be done.  Thanks to Bill and all who worked on those projects!

I still have a couple of 7900's.  Park has seen one of them and I think he would agree that the quality is quite good.  The transport design with the moving guides was the weak link, and that was addressed by the VPR-1.

Don