[QuadList] Changes in Post over theyears (wasElectronic Editing Notes)

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:17:27 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor Brown" <videovault at sky.com>

> More and more interesting
> Our 7800's did not have flying erase hence the 3 seconds to cycle out of
> insert,
> Unless you used short insert and ran without erase, then the video head
> erased the track
> but if it was not central on the track it patterned badly and was not a
> mode
> I liked to use.
>
> If you were editing on a different machine to the recording you also had
> the
> interchange problem
> The 7800 only had three guides entry exit and back so the track was   "S"
> shaped
>
> Never saw a 7900 and cannot remember what the VRP 1 Arrangement was, the
> VPR2 that guided all around the scanner made more sense
> and the interchange was better for the straight tracks

Well, the track wasn't --supposed-- to be "S" shaped!  The guidance system
was definitely a weak part of the design, and the moveable guides played a
big part in the problem.  The VPR-7900 also introduced a split capstan and a
new tension servo which did help to some degree as you can imagine what
tension errors did to the track.

The transport on the VPR-1 was the same as you are familiar with on the
VPR-2.  So that cured the bad guidance variables.

Just so this isn't totally off-topic, I used VPR-7900's along with quads in
the mid 70's!  We edited on the 7900's for the reasons outlined earlier
here, then dubbed to quad for distribution.  Besides the improved editing,
we also had some of the bennefits of Type-C before its time (like no banding
and excellent 2nd generation quality).  Because all tapes were in house and
typically on originating machines, we had no interchange problems.  I could
see the writing on the wall for quads........

Don