[QuadList] Plasticizer

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 17:20:14 CDT 2010

If I am thinking of the same thing you are describing, there were two incidents I can recall from the era of the 70s and 80s.  I believe it mostly affected 3M tape.  The tape would precipitate a white powdery residue that would stick to guides and fixed heads on the machines during play and then on rewind, it would scratch the tape.   At first there was a considerable reluctance to admit there was a problem, but then after a time,, 3M had a program to swap out reels that had the issue. It's been a while but I think this affected 400 series tapes, maybe 420?  I am sure not every reel got returned, so there is probably still some of it out there.  I don't believe there was ever any definitive explanation of what had happened, evidently some change in a manufacturing process that had to be undone . ..
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ

Attached Message