[QuadList] OT-RCA MR-700 slant track recorder, 1961

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:54:27 CDT 2010

Ted:

Well, it's not as large, but the scanner on the Ampex VR-8000 was no tiny thing either!  Here's a pic of it with the scanner cover open that I took at the Ampex museum.  This would have been contemporary with the RCA, but was all solid state except for the audio section.  Incidently (and keeping this on quad topic!), the same tube-type audio that's in this machine was also used in the very first introduction of the VR-1100, although I think all of the production versions had the solid state audio.

Don