[QuadList] OT - ACE 25 booting

John Fletcher jfletcher at frontiernet.net
Tue Aug 23 11:21:03 CDT 2011

> I do have a V6.2 DOS disk than can boot the ACE. But we have to get it
> to load the data from the disk.

Park,

Given the above statement, it seems like the system itself is working...
at least enough to boot from the floppy drive.

Could it be possible the system disks you are trying to boot from
somehow have a corrupted or unreadable boot sector?

Even if you can read the directory of the disks using the USB drive on
your Mac, that doesn't mean that disk can actually boot the ACE.  For a
disk to boot a computer, put simply it needs to have the "right bits in
the right places" -- just pulling up a directory of the disk might not
be enough to tell you everything's ok.

Just a thought...

The one with the hard drive:  It's very possible that if the battery
died, the hard disk setup parameters in the CMOS memory were lost.
You'll need to use a CMOS setup program (or the utility in the BIOS ROM)
to restore the parameters so the system can boot from the HD.  Replacing
the battery would be a good idea, too.

- John