[QuadList] VPR-80 QC switcher w/Tek 528 Octal plug--How to translate function to Tek 1730?

Tim Stoffel tim at lionlamb.us
Mon Jan 17 18:41:49 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 16:20 -0800, Ted Langdell wrote:
> Howdy from California (again) after a dozen days in Berlin...
>

> I'm updating the scopes in an Ampex VPR-80 sidecar package.  A Tek
> 1720/1730 pair are replacing the original Tek 528/1420 setup in the
> sidecar.
>

> In connecting the wiring harness... we have a round 9-pin plug that
> went to the 528... (pictured) and no matching connector on the 1730.

The matching connector on a 1730 is a DB connector of some sort. You
have to replace the round plug. I do not have the pinout handy. It may
also be possible that the 1730 needs an option to support that
functionality. By the time those 'scopes came out, it may have not been
a standard feature anymore.

That plug is not needed for normal operation. The operator just needs to
know when to change sweep speeds for the various WFM selector functions.

Tim Stoffel