[QuadList] VPR-80 QC switcher w/Tek 528 Octal plug--How to translate function to Tek 1730?

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:39:45 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Stoffel"

> The matching connector on a 1730 is a DB connector of some sort. You
> have to replace the round plug. I do not have the pinout handy. It may
> also be possible that the 1730 needs an option to support that
> functionality. By the time those 'scopes came out, it may have not been
> a standard feature anymore.
>
> That plug is not needed for normal operation. The operator just needs to
> know when to change sweep speeds for the various WFM selector functions.

I've sent Ted the diagram, but yes, the operator can also just change the
scope settings, and on the 1730, the memory recall makes it easy to save the
proper settings and select them anytime with a single button.

Interestingly, the 1730 doesn't need any modification, it was the original
528 that was modified.  Tek had a mod that was installed in the scope to
allow the VTR to control the sweep and sync settings, temporarily overriding
the normal operating controls.  There were slightly different mods for the
528 and 528A, but without those, the 9-pin socket was only for the RGB
parade display.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com