[QuadList] Video Head Differences

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 11:05:32 CDT 2011

I thought I would try a different discussion for this week.

RCA and AMPEX were the two types of machines that we see the most.   There
were different philosophies between the two for the manufacture of High
Band Quad Heads.

So what are these differences and how do they make the machine better  or
worse.

My first comment is that the Ampex Mark X and XV had a pre amp in the
head.  RCA used a pre amp below the deck.  There were advantages to  the 1200
and 2000 series that you did not have to mount something below the  deck.  RCA
had the slide in pre amp.

I know there were also differences in the mechanical designs.  So what
were the advantages for each.

Let the discussion begin.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN