[QuadList] Jeporady Question of the Day

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Wed Mar 2 01:03:10 CST 2011

I worked at two different stations with Odetics in the Naples-Fort Myers market.

At one station (Fox affiliate) it replaced a home-brew commercial system that never worked. Someone tried writing a program on a PC that would control two Hitachi HR-230's. It was supposed to dub from a tape containing the entire inventory of commercials to a spot reel that would then be rolled on-air. As far as I knew, it never worked. This station took delivery of an Odetics with standard Betacam (oxide) machines, probably in 1988.

The other station (NBC Affiliate) replaced a TCR-100 with the Odetics in 1989. This machine received SP Betacam. It wasn't well taken care of for a time and would drop cassettes a lot. Things got better though. It was later sold the first station for spare parts or replacement for it's Odie.

Yes, we called it Odie, after the dog from the comic strip "Garfield". We even had a stuffed character on top. When I directed, it was "Roll Odie... Fade"

All the station in this market except for the late-comer FOX affiliate had TCR-100. The ABC later on had two TCR-100's. They ended up buying some sort of U-Matic system in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Something like a La-kart.