[QuadList] Ping Ken Zin--Merlin Mass duplicator (was Question of the week-RCA AE 6000 editor)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Mar 7 18:56:16 CST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:

> The first one that I saw was in Hollywood at a post house that put
> in the mass duplicator by Merlin.  It was where I think Jack
> Calloway worked.  Being old now has memory fades from 40 years ago.
> Could it be Teletronics?

Ken might be able to provide some additional information...

Jack Calloway was DoE at Vidtronics in the mid-70's.

In 1977, Merlin shipped a system to Vidtronics in LA that was centered
around ten Shibaden SV-7000 Quad VTR's that Merlin modified and called
the ME68.

One of the ten ME68s is know to survive in collector/restorer Richard
Diehl's collection in San Jose. He obtained the machine from Merlin's
John Streets when Merlin's occupancy of a long-time building ended
several years ago.

Along with the machine, he received some ephemera, which include a
letter from Jack to John about how pleased he was with the system, and
pictures showing the system in place with a pair of Ampex AVR-3's and
QC gear.

See the webpage here:
http://www.labguysworld.com/Merlin_ME68.htm

Click on the pictures to enlarge. Two people are standing at the right-
hand AVR-3. Can anyone identify them?

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com