[QuadList] Noticed a 2 inch tape cleaner for sale on E-Bay.

lee williams lasvegastvengineer at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 15:17:13 CDT 2011

During NAB,
One of the RTI guys said they had a refurbished 1" and that they will buy back an old one to repair it and resell it.
Price unknown.

I have 1 client who uses his old VR2000's to clean tapes after they have been baked.
He uses his old dead heads and runs them though until they stop leaving residue on the dead head before he tries the tape on the good head.
Works surprisingly well until you get to a stack of tapes that was stored in a storage shed without air conditioning.
I have seen sappers that have had 15 passes and still are sticky.

An old VR2000 would have more than enough torque to pull tape across cleaning rollers and would have enough room above the reels for a bolt on cleaning assembly.
The problem is getting a gear reduction motor slow enough to pull the cleaning rollers 1 or 2 inches an hour. (and keeping the roller alignment dead on.)