[QuadList] Fwd: Re: The Beatles, Washington D.C. 1964

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 30 18:38:25 CDT 2012

		On Apr 30, 2012, at 12:27 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

 > The cameras in use were from Tele-Tape and were Marconi's, very
similar to or the exact ones as viewed here in other Tele-Tape photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennyalexander/3966892126/in/photostream/
. I believe this company went on to become Reeves-Teletape (perhaps).

		I report:

	David, Reeves and Teletape were two separate companies.  Reeves was
the legendary company started by Hazzard Reeves, a film audio pioneer
involved in the development of mag-coated perf film, and a principal
at Cinerama.  Teletape was one of the earliest providers of
independent remote television production and offered their remote
facilities for many familiar early remote shoots, which were rare in
the early days of videotape.  Teletape's remote productions included a
Herb Alpert special shot on a beach in California.  The company was
also responsible for both Barbra Streisand specials shot in New York,
"My Name is Barbra" and "Color Me Barbra".
	Reeves and Teletape merged in 1967.  I worked at Reeves/Teletape from
1979 to 1986.
	Before the merger, Reeves provided videotape facilities for all 3
networks at their videotape center in Manhattan at 304 East 44th
Street.  Reeves had some of the earliest color videotape systems
available.  In particular, Reeves offered color playback capabilities
to CBS for many 'Television Tape' productions in the early 60's.
Their RCA color VTRs were even featured in an issue of RCA Broadcast
News (I don't know which one).
	Ken Alexander's father Bob was my boss when I worked at R/T.  Ken is
now a systems engineer for NBC (I think).

					     NBC Today Show, New York