[QuadList] Ampex Quad VTR Airflow Requirements

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:20:12 CDT 2012

Hi Larry:

Interesting indeed!  I'm also surprised that the normal vacuum is 35 instead of 40.  Somewhere, I have a SMPTE standard for the quad format, and I thought the 40 inches of H2O vacuum value was in that but maybe it's just the geometry of the guide.  I'll see if I can find it.

I've often thought of compiling a list of differences in the way that RCA and Ampex machines were designed.  Now I know of more than I did!  I can remember some spirited debates back "in the day" over the virtues of one machine or another.  I always thought that both RCA and Ampex had their strong and weak points, and taking the best of both would have made an interesting machine.  To some extent, that's what happened in the later models.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com