[QuadList] HS-200

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 13 12:56:05 CST 2012

		On Nov 13, 2012, at 12:41 AM, David Crosthwait wrote:

 > Nice shots of N3. I worked that truck a few times when I augmented
NY field on sports remotes in the east. Those TR 70's ate up a lot of
precious tape room real estate! I remember working a remote in Dallas
in WBAP's truck and it had two TR-70's in the back of the
Gerstenslager. Made for a tight fit. Then ad the HS-100 and the inn
was full.
 > Burbank's field HS-100's were maintained by Chuck Kline. He knew
them inside and out. I don't recall the NY tape/disc maintenance guru
in field although I can see his face (Louie?).

		I wonder:

	Could you be speaking of Cen Louie (pronounced "Senn Loo-ee")?  He
was Korean, I think.  I vaguely recall his working in our VTR shop on
the 5th Floor.

		David said:

 > Great that you took photos when you did.  It was officially frowned
upon to take pictures on duty and of other employees but most everyone
is glad decades later that we snuck in a camera when we could.

		I offer:

	Though I shot the photos at the Danny Thomas Memphis Golf Classic in
1975, I was not working the event.  Two of my friends from the TV
station we worked at actually worked the event (They are in a couple
of the photos).  I was on vacation in Memphis and tagged along to
shoot the pictures.  As you know, in those days, security wasn't
anything like it is today.  I walked onto the golf course easily and
without challenge over several days of the event.  I had no
credentials; I don't think anybody had them.
	When I finally was employed by NBC in NY, I took lots of photos (I'm
sure you've seen many of them on Flickr).  Occasionally, my
photography was not welcome.  But mostly, no one ever told me not to
shoot photos.  Most of the time, I'd ask if it was OK and except for
some rare instances, the subjects did not object.  I never heard from
management to not shoot pictures at 30 Rock at the time.  I suppose
that's because I never published the photos until many years later.
In addition, I usually did not shoot photos of NBC talent working.  My
interest was the facility, not the talent.
	I had always thought that the photos would be of interest in the
future; to see how the studios and facilities have changed.  It turns
out that I've even heard from executives at NBC who have appreciated
my behind-the-scenes photography.  Eventually, I hope that the photos
will find their way back into NBC's hands once I'm long gone.

					     NBC Today Show, New York