[QuadList] quad videotape stock question

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:56:04 CDT 2013

Hi David:

Almost all quad tape is 1.5 mil except for a very small amout of 1.0 mil
that was available at one time.  So the thickness is the same as 456 Audio
tape which is also 1.5 mil.  It's very easy to confirm the thickness with a
micrometer and it matches the specifications published by the manufacturers.
Just to be double sure, I've looked at the old catalog sheets and the length
of tape for quad or audio tape (1.5 mil) is the same for a given reel size.

There are differences among quad tapes as far as the flexibility of the base
material.  For instance, Fuji seems stiffer to me than 3M 400, and some of
the early brown oxide, non-backcoated tape (late 50's - early 60's) seems
stiffer still.  I don't know how you measure the flexibility, it's just a
feeling to me rather than something I can confirm, but the thickness is
still the same on all of them.

Also, there's the vacuum guide position adjustment.  Way more range there
than would be needed even if the tape were twice as thick as normal.  So not
really certain what's going on with the tape you have, but unless it has
SSS, it should run through the transport but just not work very well as far
as performance is concerned.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com