[QuadList] quad videotape stock question

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 17:22:12 CDT 2013

In message <AC562141FE224256A58FFCC95451C524 at dcidell2v2>, Don Norwood
<dwnorwood at embarqmail.com> writes

>Hi David:
>
>Almost all quad tape is 1.5 mil except for a very small amout of 1.0
>mil that was available at one time.  So the thickness is the same as
>456 Audio tape which is also 1.5 mil.  It's very easy to confirm the
>thickness with a micrometer and it matches the specifications published
>by the manufacturers. Just to be double sure, I've looked at the old
>catalog sheets and the length of tape for quad or audio tape (1.5 mil)
>is the same for a given reel size.

I seem to remember in 1985 or thereabouts, that the available Fuji quad
stock was not up to the job of being loaded into ACR-25 cassettes. I
also seem to remember that the library was searched for Ampex/Scotch 90
minute tapes that only had an hour of maaterial on them, in order that 8
or 9 cassettes could be filled with the unused tail end of the reel.
--
"Remember how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are
stupider than that.  - G. Carlin"