[QuadList] The Digitrak Tape area OT

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:38:10 CDT 2013

Hi Roger:

The VPR-1 is equipped only for what was called "Very High Carrier" in the
Type-A format.  This is the same as Hi-Band Quad and Type-C.  The VR-7500
that you referred to did not record in that mode, but instead offered what
was called Low-Band (the original Ampex 1" B&W frequencies) or Hi-Band (the
carriers used for Ampex 1" color).  These were roughly equivalent to LBM and
LBC used for quad recordings.  So any recording made on a VR-7500 would not
be compatible with a VPR-1.   Ampex did design a board to allow playback of
the older standard on the VPR-1 and in fact we have schematics, but other
list members & I have looked into this and as far as we have been able to
determine, the product was not actually produced.

The VPR-7900 family (7900/7950/7900A/7950A) is the only Type-A machine that
includes all three modulation standards, so it is backward compatible with
the earlier machines.  All earlier machines were wide band recording with a
pilot signal added in the color mode, so the 7900 can directly reproduce the
older color recordings and simply eliminates any need for the pilot if it is
present.  As a result, even color material recorded in the oldest B&W
carrier mode can be recovered in color by the 7900.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com