[QuadList] Johnny Carson clips

MG megoldsmith at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 17 13:59:17 CST 2013

From: Dennis Degan
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 2:51 PM
To: Quad List
Subject: Re: [QuadList] Johnny Carson clips

I offer:

I don't know what clips were seen, but the Tonight Show was recorded on quad only up to 1981.  That's when the show began stereo audio production, thanks to Ron Estes.  He actually pushed for stereo recording before the network was ready to air the show in stereo.  Stereo MTS broadcasting did not begin until 1984.  The Tonight Show was the first TV program to air in MTS stereo:  http://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/0087/remembering-tv-stereo-pioneer-ron-estes/183149

    NBC Today Show, New York

Dennis, did they go to MII at that point?  I know we had stereo Ampex quad machines in the early to mid 80s.  I am assuming that NBC was all RCA back them, but I have little experience with those.

Mark Goldsmith