[QuadList] It Is TELSTAR DAY!!!!! July 10, 1962. This date marks the launch of Telstar 1,

James Snyder snyder at dtvexpress.net
Mon Jul 14 11:13:55 CDT 2014

I had the pleasure of working for Intelsat during their privatization
process in the early 2000s and one of the major acquisitions they
made right after privitazation was the Telstar satellites from Loral
Skynet (formerly AT&T Skynet) in October 2003.  Telstar 1 not only
led to the Telstar satellites from AT&T, but also Early Bird, the
first  satellite from what would become Intelsat (the International
Telecommunications Satellite Consortium).  It was fascinating to be
able to go through the files at Intelsat HQ in DC and see the very
earliest documents of the telecommunications satellite period,
including communications between AT&T and Intelsat on coordinating
their efforst (Intelsat was forbidden from operating satellites
directly to the United States specifically because of AT&T's
Telstars).  There is a three-issue story on the creation of Telstar
in the old Bell System Technical Journals.  Take a look....

http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol42-1963/bstj-vol42-issue04.html

James

James Snyder
Senior Systems Administrator
Library of Congress -
   National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC)
Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division (MBRS)
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation
http://www.loc.gov/avconservation/packard/