[QuadList] Four Coffin Camera Photos

Mr. DC Memories mrdcmemories at gmail.com
Sun May 4 09:38:05 CDT 2014

Ted and all,

Someone must have been cleaning out their old files as these four photos
appeared on eBay last December. My bid was too low, so I do not own them.

Here are direct links to each photo:

http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene1.JPG
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene2.JPG
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene3.JPG
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene4.JPG

NBC alumnus Bobby Ellerbee commented at that time: "Interesting that the
writing on the top says these were in NBC 3K (their test studio) as most
of us had thought these cameras were in testing at the Colonial Theater
facility. These are indeed the prototype TK40 cameras and were referred
to as 'the coffin cameras' as they were big enough to bury someone in.
This now confirms that there were 3 cameras as the photo I never saw has
a camera number 3 on it and another says 2. It is possible that camera 1
was kept in the mobile unit for testing outside the studio. The outside
shot is from a Palisades Park, single camera remote in '51 or '52. The
camera with that umber grey paint got so hot (from use and the sun) that
the NBC crew painted it silver when they got back to the shop...that's
why the production models were silver."

That's all I know.

Enjoy!

Bob Bell

On 5/4/2014 12:23 AM, quadlist-request at quadvideotapegroup.com wrote:

> Bob, what is the source of your photo, if I may ask.  Thanks much for
> posting it.

---