[QuadList] Four Coffin Camera Photos

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sun May 4 12:39:31 CDT 2014

WOW!   these are  great Bob!

thanks  for posting them!
Ed Sharpe archivist  for SMECC

In a message dated 5/4/2014 7:38:11 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
mrdcmemories at gmail.com writes:

Ted and all,

Someone must have been cleaning out  their old files as these four photos
appeared on eBay last December. My bid  was too low, so I do not own them.

Here are direct links to each  photo:

http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene1.JPG
(http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene1.JPG)
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene2.JPG
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene3.JPG
http://s93943464.onlinehome.us/RCA_Cameras_Scene4.JPG

NBC  alumnus Bobby Ellerbee commented at that time: "Interesting that the
writing  on the top says these were in NBC 3K (their test studio) as most of
us had  thought these cameras were in testing at the Colonial Theater
facility. These  are indeed the prototype TK40 cameras and were referred to as
'the coffin  cameras' as they were big enough to bury someone in. This now
confirms that  there were 3 cameras as the photo I never saw has a camera number
3 on it and  another says 2. It is possible that camera 1 was kept in the
mobile unit for  testing outside the studio. The outside shot is from a
Palisades Park, single  camera remote in '51 or '52. The camera with that umber
grey paint got so hot  (from use and the sun) that the NBC crew painted it
silver when they got back  to the shop...that's why the production models were
 silver."

That's all I know.

Enjoy!

Bob  Bell